Tuesday, April 5, 2011

How Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson connects with I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou

Having read Speak, by Laurie Halse Anderson, I couldn't help but notice the numerous allusions to Maya Angelou. I kept thinking, why that poster? Why did the librarian suggest her? Later, when Maya Angelou tapped Melinda Sordino on the shoulder, I knew there was SOMETHING to the allusions. So, taking the reference to banned books, I realized the book in question was none other than I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou. Or, should I call her by her full name, Marguerite Ann Johnson? That's who she goes by in the book. What astounds me is how similar these two young women are/were, how they both transcend such difficult and terrible darkness in their attacks, and what they do to overcome, to rise, to survive. They are phoenixlike, ephemeral, powerful. We have much to learn from them. I hope your students will learn from them as well!

If you haven't read both of these excellent books, now is the time to read them both. Many teachers have an independent reader component to their curriculum, and can steer students in the direction of a book or two, make suggestions, or even prod a few to read a particular author based on your knowledge of the student. Keep these in mind. I hope you and your students will not only take the time to read these two books, but consider how they add a depth and layer of meaning to the other novel. Pairing books is one of my passions as a teacher, watching students eyes light up, for the synapses to begin firing again, to dust off the cobwebs and get them excited about reading. Won't you join me? I hope so. Please come back and share your comments when you get a chance. More importantly, listen to what Melinda and Marguerite learned from their trials, and take a walk with them through their luminous novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment